The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is seeking nominations for its 2018/19 Emir Jaber al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah Prize for Digital Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities with an aim to reward the outstanding contributions of individuals and organizations that promote inclusion and the enhancement the lives of persons with disabilities in society through the effective, innovative and inclusive application of digital solutions.
In line with UNESCO’s strategic objectives and especially the Major Programme Communication and Information, this includes translating human rights and fundamental freedoms into action, with a particular emphasis on removing barriers to enable greater access to information and knowledge, as well as learning and participation in society through the effective application of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs).
- The Prize will be offered biennially in 2018/2019 and 2020/2021. The Prize will be awarded in each biennial edition and will be divided equally to:
- An Individual Person; and
- An Organization.
- These awards are for individuals and organizations and are not for projects or programmes. Successful individuals and organizations will usually have undertaken a series of relevant projects and programmes, developed appropriate tools or resources, and enhanced co-operation and partnerships that will contribute to their achievements, but it is the overall personal or organizational contribution that will be assessed.
- The total amount available for the Prize biennially is USD $ 40,000, which will be distributed equally between the individual and the organizational winner.
- UNESCO will publicize the Prize winners, and will seek to work with them to enhance and promote their continued activities in the field of the digital empowerment of persons with disabilities.
- Prize winners (Laureates) will be selected by the Director-General of UNESCO on the basis of the assessments and recommendations made by a Jury.
- All processes relating to the administration of the Prize will adhere to UNESCO’s Statutes for the Prize.
The Prize builds on three thematic axes of importance in UNESCO’s work with persons with disabilities
- Formulating policy, advocacy, co-operation and partnerships;
- Creating and developing digital solutions, enabling environments and processes, including tools and resources;
- Building and strengthening the capacities of people to create, adapt and use digital solutions in a cost efficient and sustainable manner.
- Eligible applicants are individuals (applying either individually, or representing a group of people) or organizations (an institution, non-governmental organization or other public or private entity).
- Individuals and organizations applying for the Prize must have been active in the field for a minimum of five years, and have proven results from their efforts and activities.
- UNESCO awards the UNESCO/Emir Jaber Al Ahmad Al Jaber Al Sabah Prize for Digital Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities every two years. All individuals, institutions, other entities or non-governmental organizations active in the field of inclusion of persons with disabilities in society can present themselves as eligible candidates.
- UNESCO’s Member States, UNESCO’s National Commissions and Non-Governmental Organizations in official partnership with UNESCO are invited to solicit, nominate and submit candidates for the Prize.
For more information, please visit UNESCO/Emir Jaber al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah Prize.