The Mufti MohammadSayeed Global Leaders Fellowship Program -2019 ( MMS-GLFP) aims to provide a select group of outstanding young men and women from Jammu and Kashmir the opportunity to study at some of the world’s finest institutions of higher learning, for up to 12 months, to become global leaders of the future. The Fellowship is inspired by the vision of Mufti Sahib and modeled after the well-known Rhodes Scholarships at the University of Oxford. The MMS-GLFP does not have any connection with the Rhodes Trust, but may include former Rhodes Scholars in its selection committees. As in the case of Rhodes Scholarships, selection to MMS-GLFPis made without regard to gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, ethnic origin, religion, social background, caste, or disability.
Six Universities have been identified for the Fellowship in 2019: Oxford and Cambridge (in the United Kingdom); Harvard, Yale and Princeton (in the United States of America); and Melbourne (in Australia).
The applicants will identify the courses/ programs at these institutions, and while the Selection Jury will endeavor to ensure admission for the course/program, the final decision will be of the University concerned. It is of utmost importance that the applicant makes sure that he/she fulfills the qualifications prescribed for the course by the University.
The Fellowship will cover international economy class return travel, tuition fees, and a modest allowance to cover board and lodging. Responsibility for a valid passport for international travel and securing an appropriate visa will be of the applicant.
The Fellowship will be for a period of 12 months for a course beginning in the academic session in 2019.
There is no prescribed Application form. Applications will be entertained which include the following (as a MS Word file)
- A covering one page letter by the applicant indicating reasons for interest in the MMS-GLFP and a recent passport size photograph
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae (of not more than 5pages)
- A 1000 word statement by the applicant on “Qualities needed to lead in the 21st Century”
- In order of the applicant’s preference, a list of courses/programs and Universities
- Names, designation, postal address, phone number and email of 3 individuals willing to provide a reference in favour of the Applicant.
There will be a three-stage selection process.
- All applications will be vetted by a committee and a long list prepared by 31st September 2018
- All those on the long list will be invited for an interview in October and November 2018 and a short list prepared
- A Nobel-laureate will chair a Jury which will finally select the Fellows for 2019 and the names will be announced in early January 2019
- Selection as a Fellow is not a guarantee for admission to the University, which will follow.
- Upto 20 Fellowships will be awarded in 2019.
All Selected Fellows will need to provide an undertaking guaranteed by two securely employed individuals that they will spend at least 12 months serving Jammu and Kashmir before the end of 2024.
LAST DATE FOR APPLICATIONS
Applications will be only entertained by email and those received by 1700 hours 20 June 2018 at: