At Facebook, we strive to build communities across the globe and bring the world closer together. To do so, we need to reduce the barrier for everyone to participate, regardless of their backgrounds and abilities.
Lack of literacy skills has been shown as one of the top challenges for people to adopt technologies and take part in the social communications online.Facebook is pleased to invite the academic community to respond to this call for research proposals to better understand and address global literacy and accessibility issues.
Research awardees will be expected to contribute to the field of literacy and accessibility through qualitative or quantitative research, including, but not limited to:
- Novel, scalable methods on assessing individual or population literacy levels.
- Understanding the experiences and challenges associated with literacy issues, eg learning disabilities or barriers due to English as a second language.
- Understanding the social, structural, and technology issues that prevent people from improving literacy skills.
- Understanding the impact of literacy skills on individuals and society.
- Digital, social technologies used to improve literacy level, especially, closing the gender gap in literacy rate.
- Design and development of technologies to elevate the literacy barrier, preferably with a focus on social and AI technologies.
Proposals should include:
- A summary of the project (1-2 pages) explaining the area of focus, a description of techniques, any relevant prior work, and a timeline with milestones and expected outcomes.
- A draft budget description (1 page) including an approximate cost of the award and explanation of how funds would be spent
- Curriculum Vitae for all project participants.
For more information, please visit Facebook.