Applications are now open for the 15 UNWTO Awards to acknowledge the contribution of institutions – public, private or NGOs – to competitive and sustainable tourism development at the local, national, regional and international levels.
The contribution of the awardees is in line with the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism and the principles and Sustainable Development Goals.
UNWTO will tentatively announce the awardees of the UNWTO Awards by middle of December 2018 through direct communication using the contact details provided in their application. Subsequently, winners of all categories are expected to be announced in January 2019.
The UNWTO is the United Nations agency responsible for the promotion of responsible, sustainable and accessible tourism for all. The UNWTO, as the leading international organization in the field of tourism, advocates tourism that contributes to economic growth, inclusive development and environmental sustainability, and offers leadership and support to the sector to expand its knowledge and tourism policies throughout the world.
There are four categories of Awards for specific tourism initiatives:
- UNWTO Award in Public Policy and Governance
- UNWTO Award in Enterprises
- UNWTO Award in Non-Governmental Organizations
- UNWTO Ethics Award for signatories of the Private Sector Commitment to the Code of Ethics
- Applications for the UNWTO Awards can be made by any institution whose accomplishments are related to the tourism sector. The UNWTO Awards are not open for individual application.
- The submitted initiatives are expected to have attained a certain degree of implementation to demonstrate its effectiveness. Non implemented initiatives shall not be considered.
- Both current and former staff members of the UNWTO shall be ineligible to submit an application or receive the UNWTO Awards. Nor shall be considered initiatives which have or have had UNWTO´s participation in their design and/or implementation.
For more information, please visit 15 UNWTO Awards.